Monday, July 19, 2010

Teen jailed after... buggy chase

LEON, N.Y. (WIVB) - (RELEASE) After an investigation performed by the Cattaraugus County Sheriff's Office, 17 year old Amish boy, Levi Detweiler, was arrested on counts of underage possession of alcohol, overdriving an animal, reckless endangerment and failure to stop at a stop sign.

The investigation found that Detweiler ran through a stop sign in the presence of Sheriff Deputies, an attempt was made to stop the buggy by Deputies and the suspect refused to stop.

The chase ensued for approximately 3/4 of a mile when the suspect attempted an unsafe turn in a driveway and crashed the horse and buggy.

The victim then exited the buggy and took off on foot, leaving the scene of the accident.

The suspect was later found in the area and was interviewed by detectives.

Two Amish males helped Deputies in freeing the horse from the crash and removing the buggy from the ditch.

The suspect was arrested on the charges and arraigned in Leon Court and bail was set at $500. He was remanded to the Cattaraugus. County Jail.
Source

4 comments:

Chris said...

I can't help but smile when I think of a squad car pursuing a buggy. Obviously, there isn't much for police to do in that part of the state. Poor kid, though. I think that it was quite unnecessary for the newspaper to publish his photograph.

parepidemos said...

Chris,
I couldn't have said it better myself. Publishing the pic was just adding to his humiliation. I wonder what speed young Levi was going in order to give Cattaraugus County's "finest" a run for their money.

Anonymous said...

I feel bad for the young man, and I hope his youthful indiscretion doesn't get too much in the way of the rest of his life. Still, I had to have a huge laugh at this!

John (Ad Orientem) said...

I agree with the above sentiments. I hope they cut the kid some slack. And yes it was very funny.

On which note...

Q. What makes the sound clippity-clop clippity-clop clippity-clop bang bang bang clippity-clop clippity-clop clippity-clop?

A. An Amish drive by shooting.