Tuesday, March 08, 2011

So what's the big deal?

OK. I watch such a minimal amount of television that I am way out of the loop on most of the current cultural issues. But last night I was stuck in the same room with some people who were watching "Two and a Half Men," Charlie Sheen's former series. For those even more out of the loop than me he was sacked by CBS yesterday after several weeks of bad mouthing CBS and the show's creator. Some of his rants frankly have caused me to question if he might not be several fries short of a Happy Meal. But I digress.

The show I saw last night was disgusting. There is no other word for it. It was the kind of thing than in a more civilized society would either not be shown at all or would only be shown late at night. The humor, if you could call it that, was so low brow and guttural it would make a sailor blush (I speak from experience on both points).

Bottom line: Good riddance.

6 comments:

Jon Marc said...

Agreed! I watched an episode or two when I got cable this past fall and could not understand why it was on. Good riddance indeed!

Anna said...

People whose judgement I trust have said that the first few seasons were actually pretty decent. The latter, not so much. The guy behind the series, Chuck Lorre, also has another show on TV right now, the Big Bang Theory. That show is actually quite witty. But just like 2 and 1/2 Men, it's undeniably about sex.

Anam Cara said...

I've never seen the show. Never wanted to. I like shows like Monk and Psych. A little comedy, a little mystery. Great mix. At least, we think so.

The Archer of the Forest said...

I only have seen the show twice (I think), and both times was against my better judgment. From the episodes I saw, the show appears to be another example of bad American sitcoms. Sitcoms at least used to be descent and could be watched in mixed company. I haven't seen a legitimate sitcom in the last 15 years that I would be comfortable showing a 8 year old.

Charlie Sheen is just a sad character all around. This sounds awful and I don't mean it to be, but I'm actually surprised he hasn't been found dead in a hotel room somewhere. He's one of those rich and tragic celebrities that unless something seriously happens with him to turn his life around (and I think at this point it could only be God), then that's going to be the endgame for Charlie Sheen. He's on a path to destruction if ever I saw someone on such a path.

peggy38 said...

Agreed. I think the show has become truly disgusting. It didn't used to be. But it gets great ratings even so, so there are plenty enough people rewarding them for descending into the gutter.

The last episode that I had the misfortune of seeing a portion, I could not describe in decent company. It was just that vulgar.

Anonymous said...

It's just one part of Satan's assau;t on us. Look what ABS has in store for us this fall: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/03/04/critics-slam-abc-pilot-good-christian-bitches-inappropriate-damaging-title/?test=faces

-The Pilgrim