Monday, February 11, 2013

Pope Benedict XVI To Abdicate

VATICAN CITY — Citing advanced years and infirmity, but showing characteristic tough-mindedness and unpredictability, Pope Benedict XVI shocked Roman Catholics on Monday by saying that he would resign on Feb. 28, becoming the first pope to do so in six centuries.

Speaking in Latin to a small gathering of cardinals at the Vatican on Monday morning, Benedict said that after examining his conscience “before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise” of leading the world’s one billion Roman Catholics.
Read the rest here.

On a personal note I am deeply saddened by this news. Both from the perspective of a former Catholic and currently Orthodox Christian I think H.H. Benedict XVI was the best thing to hit Rome in a very long time. I fear for the future of the Roman Church where the election of a new Pope can have far greater consequences than a change in primates in one of the Orthodox churches. Even so I wish him well in whatever retirement awaits him.

Many years!

6 comments:

Paul said...

I felt the same way, coming from similar circumstances as you. But then someone pointed out to me that Benedict has appointed most of the Cardinal Electors. I am hoping and praying that his successor will be a younger man from the same mould, who will have the physical (as well as intellectual) strength and vigour to build on his predecessor's foundations.

It seems to me that an age is passing away. We have a new Coptic Pope, a new Patriarch of Antioch, and soon a new Patriarch of Bulgaria and Pope of Rome. The times, they are a-changin'

Dn Paul

Anonymous said...

Maybe something will come that will be completely different....someone who can truly see what's actually occurring and speak the Truth that needs to be told. Someone who will surprise all sides....we can only hope.

Abbot Theodore said...

I agree with John 100%.

Bob Glassmeyer said...

I hope that the Holy Father can find a place upon his retirement where he can be a happy priest, and where he can find healing from all his stress of being Bishop of Rome.

Jason Suggs said...

Given the tendency of Orthodox prelates to cozy up to whatever tyrant they encounter, I'd say the stakes are far higher when an Eastern vacancy comes up. John, you never miss an opportunity to sneer at the Catholic Church, nor an opportunity to see the flaws in your own house of cards.

Bob Glassmeyer said...

I, for one, have heard better and more charitable things regarding the RCC from John than I have from a number of fellow Catholics.