Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Requiem for a Fierce Adversary

One of the most liberal and frankly at times, downright infuriating blogs on the web is passing into the history books tonight. Fr Terry Martin, aka Fr. Jake (his pen name) announced a short while ago that he is closing up shop on his blog "Fr. Jake Stops The World," more often simply known as Jake's Place to his many loyal followers. I have crossed swords (proverbially speaking) with him only a few times. It was rare for me to bother posting on his blog. But it was probably the best place to go if you wanted to get up to speed on what the radical liberals were up to or thinking.

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I agreed with his posts. And I would need a calculator to add up the number of times he made me reach for the antacid (extra strength). His commentary was often inflammatory and the motives which he chose to ascribe to conservative Anglicans were all too often less than charitable. Going further, some of the posts in the com boxes were simply venomous. But when it is all said and done; Jake was never anything other than what he presented himself as. Speaking of which, Jake is the reason I had to stop using one of my favorite rhetorical questions. "How many heretics have you met that acknowledged themselves to be heretics?".

Immediately underneath the title of Jake's blog were the words which gave fair warning to all who entered...

"The musings of an eccentric and sometimes heretical Episcopal priest."

At the risk of calling down a bolt of lightning, I wish him God speed in his journey. Even, and perhaps especially, avowed heretics need prayers.

No comments: