Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lottery jackpot soars to record $476 million

The winning numbers for the $356 million Mega Millions lottery jackpot, the third-largest prize in the game's history, were 9, 19, 34, 44, 51 and Mega Ball 24, but they did not produce a winner, officials said.

The lack of winner on Tuesday night's drawing means the estimated jackpot will grow to an estimated $476 million for a drawing Friday, according to the offical Mega Millions website. Mega Millions drawings are held Tuesday and Friday at 11 p.m. EDT and Tuesday night's drawing took place in Atlanta, Ga.
Read the rest here.

Well look for all the people who are barely scraping by to be standing in long lines to throw their money away. I can understand dropping a buck on a ticket. I might do so myself if I don't have to wait in any lines. It's cheap entertainment (cheaper than a movie). But we are going to see millions of people who are dirt poor throwing $20, $50 and even $100 away on this foolishness. The only guaranteed winner is going to be the IRS.

4 comments:

mjl said...

I consider lottery tickets to be fun and, when I worked in a crappy job, it was like buying a weeks worth of optimism (or false hope) for two bucks. I might do it again myself and then it's drinks all around on the Lichens.

John (Ad Orientem) said...

I don't have a problem with someone dropping a buck or two on the lottery. I've been known to do it myself. And as long as that's all we are talking about you are right. It can be a form of cheap entertainment. Nothing wrong with spending a dollar for a couple days worth of dreaming about how you would spend an obscene amount of money. My quibble is with people who really can't afford to throw money away and who spend large sums thinking they really will win the lottery.

On which note I need to get back to yacht shopping. ;-)

Joseph said...

this reminds me of a shipmate i had back on the USS JFK. he wasn't the brightest guy to begin with, but he took a re-enlistment bonus and spent the entire thing on raffle tickets. i forget the prize, but it wasn't anything substantial (although i think it was more than the bonus.)

he didn't win. just stupid.

John (Ad Orientem) said...

It has often been said that the lottery is a tax on the mathematically challenged.