Friday, March 30, 2012

Lottery Fever Has Americans Seeing Green

With a world record $540 million (and growing) jackpot at stake, much of the nation is gripped by Mega Millions fever. Millions of lottery tickets are being snapped up ahead of Friday night's Mega Millions drawing, which could provide a lucky ticket holder with a lump-sum payoff of about $390 million.

From Vermont to Louisiana and New York to California, the jackpot has been the wistful talk of TV, social media sites, office water coolers and dreamy high rollers for the past week, electrifying ticket sales with a frenzy likely to amp up even further ahead of Friday night's drawing at 11 p.m. ET.
Read the rest here.

Go ahead and drop a buck or two if you want to daydream (I did). Just remember though that come Monday you will have to go back to work. Your odds of winning this thing are MUCH lower than the odds of the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series... every year for the next ten years.

P.S. Just for fun, how do you plan to spend your new fortune (you know you have the winning ticket of course)?

5 comments:

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Those odds are still an improvement over your odds if you do not buy a ticket, though, aren't they? Fractionally.

John (Ad Orientem) said...

LOL! That is very true. So how are you planning on spending the money?

Anonymous said...

Personally I would give a chunk to the church of course, pay off all my bills, set some aside to live on and take care of my family, send some toward a few worthy charities, and perhaps start a small monastery in the area. We live in a beautiful area of the country that is just screaming for a monastic presence. Perhaps I would build a small house on the same land with the understanding that my son (who is autistic) would be allowed to live there and be taken care of after I am gone.

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

How am I planning to spend the money? I haven't bought a ticket! Yet.

mjl said...

Finally pay off my student loans, then it's off for a tour around the world with the goal of drinking at every brewery the world over by the time I turn 40.