Thursday, June 16, 2016

Half of Turkish Germans hold Islam above state law

A wide-ranging new study by the University of Münster shows that Germany’s Turkish community still has very conservative views on the role of religion in society.
The survey provides an often contradictory picture of social attitudes among Germany’s 2.7 million people of Turkish origin.
A total of 47 percent of the 1,201 respondents said that “following the tenets of my religion is more important to me than the laws of the land in which I live.”

Read the rest here.

4 comments:

rick allen said...

Seems like a low number to me. I certainly believe that “following the tenets of my religion is more important to me than the laws of the land in which I live.” Don't you?

John (Ad Orientem) said...

Fair point. But my religion does not tell me it's OK or even obligatory to kill anyone.

123 said...

There are Christians today and in the past that would have disagreed with your point above, especially regarding heretics and including killing "Mohammedans" when taking the Cross, so to speak.

The argument you are making would also seem to unduly privilege the modern nation-state, cf. the work of William T. Cavanaugh. I don't get the sense that's representative of your stated political beliefs.

The Anti-Gnostic said...

You're aware the Mohammedans were ruthless Arab imperialists who brutally homogenized dozens of distinct cultures, and the Crusades were a reaction to same.