Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Roman Catholic Archbishop of Moscow sees union near with Russian Orthodox

The Catholic Archbishop of Moscow has given a remarkably upbeat assessment of relations with the Orthodox Church, saying unity between Catholics and Orthodox could be achieved “within a few months.”

In an interview today in Italy’s Corriere della Sera newspaper, Archbishop Paolo Pezzi said the miracle of reunification “is possible, indeed it has never been so close.” The archbishop added that Catholic-Orthodox reunification, the end of the historic schism that has divided them for a millennium, and spiritual communion between the two churches “could happen soon, also within a few months.”

“Basically we were united for a thousand years,” Archbishop Pezzi said. “Then for another thousand we were divided. Now the path to rapprochement is at its peak, and the third millennium of the Church could begin as a sign of unity.” He said there were “no formal obstacles” but that “everything depends on a real desire for communion.”

On the part of the Catholic Church, he added, “the desire is very much alive.”
Read the rest here.

Lest I be labeled a polemicist, I will confine myself to saying that I am dubious.

Update: Apparently I am behind the curve and this is being much discussed throughout the blogosphere. See The Ochlophobist, Eirenikon and the Young Fogey.

4 comments:

David said...

What the hell? This can't be true, the Roman Catholic church isn't just going to capitulate is it, OR is the MP looking for ways to increase his power or something like that. I became Orthodox because I could not become Roman Catholic. If such a union occurs I guess I would have to rethink my position in the Orthodox Church. Heck I know some Antiochian priest who still refer to the RC as heretics.

John (Ad Orientem) said...

David,
No danger of anything happening. The good archbishop though meaning well, I think needs to cut back on the vodka a little bit.

In ICXC
John

George Patsourakos said...

I can picture the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches reuniting, but I think it will take a few years, rather than a few months, for this reunification to occur.

John (Ad Orientem) said...

George,
While I like optimists, I must disagree. I see very little progress on the major issues dividing Rome from Orthodoxy. In the case of the decrees of Vatican I, I see none whatsoever. The Bulgarian Orthodox apparently concur in that judgment based on their statement explaining why they have withdrawn from the joint theological discussions.

In ICXC
John