Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cell Phones & Cancer

For as long as there have been cell phones my sister has refused to use them, swearing that they cause cancer. And of course we all laughed. Well we aren't laughing anymore. (In fairness I would note that my sister is a technological Luddite who still only uses a rotary phone in her apartment and whose usual references to computers can't be quoted on a Christian blog.)

I am not too worried since I don't use my phone often and I rarely carry it on my person. Still it is a bit disconcerting to keep hearing about the growing body of circumstantial evidence connecting cell phone use to various cancers, especially brain tumors.

CNN has the story on the subject which can be read here.

1 comment:

George Patsourakos said...

I'm not worried about getting cancer from using my cell phone, because I only use my cell phone for "emergencies." I use my cell phone one or two times a week.

If cell phones do cause cancer, I feel sorry for all those people I see -- especially women -- driving with one hand on the wheel and the other hand holding a cell phone to their ear. In addition to possibly causing cancer, driving while using a cell phone is an accident waiting to happen.