Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Russian Rite Catholic Ordination

Joseph over at Byzantine Texas has a video up of a priest being ordained into the Russian Rite of the Catholic Church.  The Russian Rite is among the smallest of Rome's various uniate churches and the last I heard they had no bishops of their own.  There is a Russian Rite parish in San Francisco not far from ROCOR's cathedral.  I have always meant to visit but never seem to have gotten around to it.  The title of the post suggests that some people will be upset by it since the newly ordained priest is formerly Orthodox.  Personally, it's not something that I am getting worked up over, though I do take exception to the term "Orthodox in communion with Rome."  See my comment there.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the Orthodox regard Roman Catholics as both schismatic and heretical and there was certainly an ugly history not only with respect to the uniates in Eastern Europe, but also with the Jesuits in Russia. So I guess if you ignore history and don't believe in patterns of behavior, then, yeah, who cares?

In any case, what is the name of the parish? There are also Russian "Baptists" in SF. What surprised me personally in moving here is that there are not any Old Believer communities in the immediate area, unlike Alaska and parts of the Pacific Northwest.

VSO said...

I am in complete agreement with your comment over there.

Scoob said...

I am not in complete agreement with your ignorant comment over there.

John (Ad Orientem) said...

Scoob,
Well, feel free to post some sort of substantive refutation. That usually is a lot more impressive than argumentum ad hominem.

Anonymous said...

I realize that this is a bit of a Big-Endian/Little-Endian Swiftian thing, but I was surprised to see the ladies cross themselves Roman style, left to right, Is this a feature of uniatism?

Tom

John (Ad Orientem) said...

Tom,
The service was done in a Latin Rite parish. I am not sure if there is a Russian Rite Catholic parish there.