Monday, June 11, 2012

Sci-Fi and the campy world of 1970's TV

Ray Bradbury passed away this week. He was in many respects one of the founding fathers of modern science fiction. When I was growing up sci-fi was very popular both in movies and on TV. After reading articles on his influence I had sudden flashbacks to the 1970's when our lives seemed to revolve around TV to a degree that most parents would find laughable today. A lot of it seems corny now but back then how could we know that silver mini-skirts and purple hair were not going to be the fashion in 1980...

Nor could we know that platform shoes and bell bottom pants would not still be around in 1999...


Battlestar Galactica made the near annihilation of the human race seem like a grand adventure unlike its recent remake which was much darker and brilliantly acted...


Of course none of those shows gained the cult like following of Star Wars or Star Trek. But I remember them and for a kid they seemed pretty cool at the time. And to my mind it beat The Dukes of Hazzard.

3 comments:

Matushka Anna said...

Hey! I liked the Dukes of Hazzard! (But I liked all the sci-fi too.) ;c)

CJ said...

No need to choose! I love sci-fi but my mom did let us exit the car through the windows, and Daisy Duke was my second crush, after Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Buck Rogers and The Million Dollar Man!