Thursday, August 02, 2012

Gary Johnson; could a Libertarian swing the election?

Our story in Aug. 1 paper, “Obama advisers see hope in 3rd parties,” highlighted Gary Johnson, the nominee of the Libertarian Party. By coincidence, Johnson was in Seattle that day, and I spent 45 minutes with him.

The point of the story was that Johnson and another third-party candidate could draw away Romney votes in key states and hand the election to Obama. That is possible. It is what Ralph Nader did to Al Gore in Florida in 2000.

I asked Johnson if the prospect of being the Nader of 2012 bothers him.

“It doesn’t bother me a bit,” he said.
Read the rest here.

4 comments:

The Archer of the Forest said...

He's probably who I will vote for.

John (Ad Orientem) said...

I've thought about it. But he is pro-abortion rights and that's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

CJ said...

Seriously thinking about not voting for POTUS this year. In addition to the candidates you mentioned, Virgil Goode of the Constitution Party is too interventionist for me.

Paul said...

Never will there be a PERFECT candidate (except for democrats!)but that having been said, I think Gary Johnson will draw away more voters from Obama than from Romney. He has my vote as well.