Monday, October 31, 2022
Monday, October 24, 2022
Sunday, October 23, 2022
It appears that he has all but locked it up and will be the fifth PM in the last six years (if you're keeping track). On which note; the Conservatives better get their act together. When people are making unfavorable comparisons between your party's track record of governance and Italy, that's not a great look. A general election must be called not later than two years from now. And according to current polls, if that election were being held in the here and now, the Tories would be in for a severe thumping.
Wednesday, October 19, 2022
Monday, October 17, 2022
Saturday, October 15, 2022
Wednesday, October 12, 2022
Sunday, October 09, 2022
Saturday, October 08, 2022
For those hoping for a long day of pomp and pageantry, you are likely to be greatly disappointed.
- The service is to be slimmed down from four hours to roughly one.
- The guest list is being reduced from around 8000 to 2000.
- Numerous ancient rituals are being given the axe.
- The dress code is to be greatly relaxed. Gone are the elaborate ermine coronation robes, full court dress with knee britches and knickers for men and tiaras for the ladies. It's not going to be jeans and T shirts. But lounge suits are expected to be the order of the day.
- No specially commissioned furniture for the affair. Simple chairs and benches will do.
- Less Anglican ritual and a more ecumenical and culturally diverse service is in the planning.
- The language of the ceremony is being radically updated into modern English in order to be more accessible to the people. Why does that sound painfully familiar?
- The King will still be anointed and receive the symbols of the throne, i.e., orb and sceptre and Charles will still be crowned along with the Queen Consort.
- Charles will still vow to serve as defender of the faith (not faiths as has been rumored).
- The gold state coach commissioned for the coronation of George II will be brought out for the occasion.
Neighbors reported that power came back on late this afternoon. Lots of debris and long lines. But the clean-up is progressing. I am visiting family for a few weeks and won't be returning to Florida before November, circumstances depending.