Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Whatever happened to the Inquisition?


OK. I, no longer being a member, am a bit reluctant to criticize the Roman Catholic Church. And I have to admit that since my conversion my interest in what’s going on in the Latin Church has been steadily waning. It’s not that I have no sympathy for the people suffering though all of the silliness that now reigns in the American Catholic Church. Rather I have just reached a point where it does not affect me and I am not loosing sleep over it. But this is just over the top! I mean really. If I had read this bulletin without knowing the source I would have wagered my next paycheck it was from an Episcopal Church in San Francisco. A quick quote from this week’s bulletin of St. Joan of Arc (SJA) parish in Minnesota…
Call to Action Minnesota: Womenpriests Celebrate the Eucharist. On Saturday, September 23, 4-8 pm. Call to Action invites you to a Eucharistic Celebration with Regina Nicolosi presiding. Rev. Nicolosi was ordained as a womanpriest this summer. Following the Eucharist is a presentation by SJA parishioner Dr. Dorothy Irvin on "Ancient and Contemporary Models of Womenpriests and Deacons". Supper is included. FFI contact Judy McGuire at 612.927.6825.
Hello! Is anyone home? Is this not the same group of heretics recently excommunicated by the Roman Church for playing dress up as priests? Some quick investigating has revealed that apparently SJA has a reputation even in the very liberal diocese that it’s in for being so far out in left field that if the Earth were flat they would be in serious danger of falling off the leftward edge. Most of the rest of the bulletin is wacky liberal socio-political stuff. But if you have a strong stomach you can try reading the parish priest's comments column. I refuse to quote it on this blog

For the record the bishop of this diocese also recently created quite a stir when he silenced a well known and highly regarded priest whose orthodoxy (lower case "o") is unimpeachable. The priest was reasigned as the full time chaplain to a nursing home! This in a diocese that has many parishes with no priest.

Sancte Joannes Baptista ora pro nobis...

1 comment:

gabriel said...

SJA is, of course, a mess. I looked at the pastor's page, though, and what it looked like to me is that he's struggling to move the parish in a less radical direction- and meeting much resistance.

St. Paul's & Minneapolis confuses a great number of Catholics- SJA but also St. Agnes. Abp Flynn has done a great number of things of which conservatives disapprove, yet he has also nurtured vocations effectively.