Saturday, February 21, 2009

An Apology

Back on December 21st 2007 I posted a couple of photos from a newspaper article in Kentucky, one of an Orthodox icon corner and the other of some Wiccan religious paraphernalia with both being in the same house. In the rather short post I questioned the circumstances that would permit these two things, which seemed rather mutually exclusive, to coexist in an Orthodox home. Recently I received via Fr. David an email from the lady whose home was the subject of the photos.

In her email she explained (which she should not have had to) that her marriage predated her conversion and the Church accepted her reception into Orthodoxy without blessing the marriage as an act of economy in the same way things were done in the early days of the Church when there were religiously mixed marriages with pagans. After reviewing the post it is clear that the judgmental tone in my wording was frankly inappropriate. To be blunt, the domestic arrangements of others is not and should not be my or anyone else's concern outside of their confessor / spiritual father. I am deeply embarrassed by my lack of consideration and I repent of my presumptuous commentary. The offending post has been deleted from the blog. In closing I ask the forgiveness of the lady who was understandably offended as also any others whom I may have offended at any time in my posts or comments.