Monday, March 09, 2009

More of the same

Last fall my Democratic and liberal friends (I do have a few) warned me that if I voted for McCain we would wind up with George Bush's third term. Well they were right. I did vote for McCain and clearly we now have Bush III.
But Mr. Obama also signaled that he intends to use signing statements himself if Congress sends him legislation that has provisions he decides are unconstitutional. He pledged to use a modest approach when doing so, but said there was a role for the practice if used appropriately.
Source
I said it about Bush and I will repeat it now about Obama. Signing statements are illegal and unconstitutional period. No president has the authority to pick and choose which parts of a law he will obey. If a president believes that elements in a given bill are unconstitutional his only recourse is to veto the bill. Indeed one could make a compelling argument that failure to do so would be failing to uphold his oath of office. Bush should have been impeached for this and Obama should be too if he tries to imitate W's abuse of power. This is a very slippery slope we are on.

It would appear that whether we are talking about fiscal and monetary policies or respect for constitutional limits on power; Obama is intent on following in George Bush's footsteps.

No comments: