Friday, June 06, 2014

Ortho-Cath Ecumenical Group calls for married clergy in Eastern Rite

Read the story here. Mixed feeling on this one. I deeply sympathize with the Greek Rite Catholics who have lived with 2nd class status in the Catholic Church pretty much for as long as they have existed. And I am delighted that some high ranking people in their church seem to be coming around on this subject. But I am less sanguine about OUR clergy opining on this in any kind of official capacity. In the end, they are not Orthodox and we are not Catholic. Its an internal disciplinary issue of the Catholic Church for them to sort out, not us.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's none of our business.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ive always wondered why the Greek Catholics, who have so often complained of being "second class citizens" within the Roman Catholic Communion, who have endured a number of Latinizations, whose clergy have been subjected to any number of needless hurdles to be ordained, even whose laity need some sort of special permission to attend an Eastern Rite Catholic parish, continue to stay Roman Catholic. It would make much more sense if they left. I guess I just don't understand why communion with a see established by St. Peter is so important.