Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Libraries & Thieves

There is something mildly sacred about a library. And the idea of stealing from one or vandalizing books there is just deeply offensive to me. During a recent visit to my local library I noticed a sign reminding patrons that it was a misdemeanor offense to steal or vandalize library property (presumably including books). This being wholly inadequate I sought out a more formidable deterrent or failing deterrence, sanction, for the sacrilege of stealing from a library. After a brief search I believe I have found a more appropriate sign which I will pass to our local librarian at the next opportunity.
“For him that stealeth, or borroweth and returneth not, this book from its owner, let it change into a serpent in his hand & rend him. Let him be struck with palsy, & all his members blasted. Let him languish in pain crying aloud for mercy, & let there be no surcease to his agony till he sing in dissolution. Let bookworms gnaw his entrails in token of the Worm that dieth not, & when at last he goeth to his final punishment, let the flames of Hell consume him forever.”
-From a sign posted over the library doors of a 16th century monastery in Barcelona Spain.

1 comment:

Walter Mason said...

Hear, hear! It fascinates me that people at university imagine that it is ok on any level to underline, write in the margins or otherwise mark a book that is common property and meant to be used by hundreds of others. I wish more libraries put up notices telling people how to treat a library book - I think we may be witnessing a generation of people who have absolutely no idea.