Friday, May 15, 2009

Some scenes from the game (7-4 Mets win)

(Click on images for full size)

Fr. David and I drove from Merced to Pleasanton and took the BART train into the city for the game. It was a lot easier than driving in San Francisco, which is challenging under the best of circumstances and parking is downright nightmarish. Fortunately SF has excellent public transportation. My Godson Basil (Bob) met us in the city. He had gone in earlier from work and went to the book store by the ROCOR cathedral on Geary Street.

From the main BART station in SF we walked a couple blocks looking for a place to grab a nice meal before the game. We saw a lot of interesting looking bar and grill joints before settling on a German restaurant where the service was good, the food excellent and the beer outstanding...

Fr. David and my Godson Basil. Fr. D. rather uncharacteristically decided to go Roman leaving the cassock at home.

Basil and me. Yes, that's German beer. And yes it was really good (I'm not usually much of a beer guy). Then after dinner (I recommend the jager schnitzel) it was off to the game...

John Maine keeping em honest at first base...

The impressive score board at AT&T Park. The clock is right the time stamp is wrong...

David Wright on guard near 3rd base...

Fr. David and Basil at the game. Our seats were on the field level 12 rows back on the 3rd base line. The Giants rallied and it got a little hairy in the bottom of the 8th. I think Basil was praying...

Me. Looking more confident than I felt at the time.

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of other Mets fans in the park last night. If I had to guess I would say a good 1/3 of the fans were rooting for New York. We had Mets fans on every side of us many wearing their hats and jerseys. After our three runs in the top of the 9th to break the tie all the Giants fans headed for the exits leaving the Mets fans pretty much in ownership of the stadium. And it was by no means deserted.

All in all it was a great trip and much fun.

No comments: