Monday, July 09, 2012

TV / Movie Review

So, on the recommendation of another blogger I went over to Netflix yesterday and searched for the old TV series "Firefly." To my surprise they had it, and I settled in to watch the first episode. Five hours later I unglued my eyes from the screen long enough to eat. Today I finished watching the short lived series (only 14 episodes) and I loved it. I also caught the movie that was made to pick up where the series left off. So if you haven't seen it and have some time to kill, the show has my enthusiastic endorsement. You can catch it on Netflix or it makes for a good video rental.

It's a Sci-Fi series set in the 26th century. Definitely not what I expected but the concept was very clever and the acting was quite good. Think Star Wars meets the Old West. Probably not suitable for young kids... violence some language and adult situations. 

Best quote was from Shepard Book, a Protestant minister, played by Ron Glass of Barney Miller fame. He is loading a wicked looking weapon in preparation to rescue some captured comrades and one of the crewmen asks him if the Bible doesn't say rather specific things about killing people? To which he replies "Yes, but its kinda fuzzy on kneecaps."

6 comments:

The Anti-Gnostic said...

Yes, truly great TV. The movie--Serenity--is excellent as well.

mjl said...

A fantastic TV series! I'm still not sure why it was cancelled and some other shows are still on the air.

CJ said...

A co-worker lent me his DVD set of the show and the movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even my wife, who hates sci-fi, loved the episode with the off-the-wall bounty hunter Jubal Early (played by Richard Brooks from Law and Order).

Matthew M said...

Concur with all. As to why it was cancelled, easy no one tuned in to watch it. The name is not that encouraging and people probably thought it was a kids show about a bug.

Texas Seraphim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Texas Seraphim said...

Best Sci-Fi show ever made, and this opinion is coming from a Trekkie. I am glad you enjoyed it. Matthew is right. No one tuned in and it was one of the most expensively produced shows in the history of Fox.