Tuesday, January 17, 2012

NOTICE: Blog Blackout

In solidarity with the widespread and growing internet protest of proposed legislation in Congress which would grant frightening powers to both the government and private businesses to censor web sites; this blog will be offline starting when I go to bed tonight until Thursday morning.  I realize that this is a near insignificant token on my part compared to the similar blackout being planned by Wikipedia but I feel very strongly on this subject.

2 comments:

123 said...

See the following article updating the situation in DC re SOPA:

http://rss.sciam.com/click.phdo?i=765a82dada6241096b7572613e3cf42e

"SOPA Opera: White House Shuts Down Proposed Online Anti-Piracy Bill
from Scientific American

Rather than deliver an ultimatum to those on either side of the debate, the recent White House statement related to the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and PROTECT IP Act of 2011 (PIPA) encourages the entertainment and technology industries to work together to find a solution. This call for a back-to-the-drawing-board approach to clamping down on Internet intellectual-property piracy while preserving free speech has many wondering whether lawmakers will simply rework SOPA (pdf) and PIPA (pdf) using different language or if they will take anti-SOPA and anti-PIPA concerns to heart."...

Visibilium said...

John, good idea, but I wonder if anyone will notice that my blog has disappeared.

I'm interested in the larger issue of whether intangibles can be legitimately subject to property claims since they're amorphous to begin with. If I buy a bunch of tangible materials and fashion a machine based on another person's configuration, how can one legitimately claim that my engine doesn't belong to me?

Let's take it a step further. Does God own everything simply because He created everything? By creating free will, hasn't He deeded us to ourselves?